I guide classes in Mindfulness Meditation at the following venues:
Sandwich Public Library
- 142 Main St.
- Free, 1-2 times per month, thru 2019
- Wednesday Nov 13 2:30 pm (room 1)
- Wednesday Nov 20 7 pm (room 1)
- Thursday Dec 12 7 pm (room 2)
- register at Event Link at Sandwich Public Library
Sandwich Council on Aging
- 270 Quaker Meetinghouse Road
East Sandwich, MA 02537
- Wednesday afternoons, 1 pm. $5 session; continuing thru 2019
- Call the COA to sign up. You may try the first class of the month for free
Mashpee Council on Aging
- 26 Frank E. Hicks Drive
- Tuesday afternoons, 1 pm. $5 session; continuing thru 2019.
- This is a drop in session, call the center to sign up.
Barnstable Adult Community Center
- 825 Falmouth Rd.
- Monday afternoons, 1pm. $6 session
- Call the center to sign up.
These 1-hour sessions include light stretching, and several guided meditations. We will be standing briefly and sitting in chairs for most of the session. Yoga pads are not needed. Other topics that may be covered include mindful walking, mindful eating and mindful relationships.
Mindfulness is paying attention, on purpose, non-judgmentally, in the present moment. While mindfulness brings a sharp focus, awareness sees the whole picture. Awareness centers us by allowing us to step back and observe each thought, emotion, and physical stimulus without letting any or all of them take over our consciousness. Awareness helps us discover how the conscious being within each of us is aware of who we really are.
Pete Cormier, Ph.D. is an adjunct professor at Lesley University and Worcester State University. He teaches courses in community arts, nonprofit marketing, philanthropy and donor engagement. Pete has practiced yoga for more than 20 years and mindfulness for 10 years. He has attended a 5-day Mindfulness Tools training course offered by the Center for Mindfulness at UMass Medical Center and has volunteered as a technical assistant in their lab. He has a certificate in mindfulness from Cape Cod Community College.
Please excuse the unfinished look of this site. It is new and still under development.